Looking At Landcare (25/5/2018) – National Carp Control & Grazing Permits

Hi Landcarers

You may have seen that there are is an opportunity to have your say on the National Carp Control Plan.

A community briefing meeting will be held on Wednesday 30 May 6pm-8pm at the Forbes Inn to look into carp control options.

If you are a fisher-person, have a connection with the Lachlan River in any way for recreational use or just enjoy being in our natural environment, you may be interested in finding out how the National Carp Control (NCCP) hopes to address the carp problem.

Together with the NSW DPI Fisheries and Central West Local Land Services, the NCCP will host an information evening for Forbes next week to discuss carp control options, focusing on the use of a species-specific virus known as Cyprinid herpesvirus 3 (the carp virus) as a biocontrol agent.

The evening will provide residents with an opportunity to contribute feedback on the proposed plan and to ensure risks associated with carp biocontrol are identified and mitigated.

The event is an opportunity to hear about the proposed carp biocontrol measures first-hand from the NCCP and Victoria’s NCCP state lead as well as contribute feedback to the plan.

These meetings will assist the Australian Government to make well-informed decisions on carp control in late 2018. This event is one of more than 40 community briefing sessions that will be held in NSW, Victoria, South Australia, the ACT, Queensland and Western Australia in coming months.

The meeting will be held at the Forbes Inn and RSVP’s can be directed to Vivien Howard on 0439 387 603 or vivien.howard@lls.nsw.gov.au. I look forward to seeing you there.

The Central West Local Land Services is inviting Expressions of Interest (EOI) for Annual Grazing Permits for selected Travelling Stock Reserves under its control.

All existing Annual Grazing Permits in the Central West Local Land Services region will cease on 30 June 2018. New Permits are for the period 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019.

There are four classes of stock permits, as outlined under the Local Land Services Act 2013: walking stock permit; grazing stock permit; roadside grazing stock permit; and routine stock movement permit.

Walking stock permits are used for long-distance travel by travelling stock walking from one region to another. Local stock may also use this type of permit in times of drought to travel throughout the region.

Grazing stock permits are generally issued to the landholder adjoining an enclosed Travelling Stock Reserve (TSR) for use over an extended period. It is a condition of the permit that travelling stock are still permitted to access the TSR.

Roadside grazing stock permits are issued for a short period of time over a specific section of road in times of drought or for hazard reduction. It is also normally issued to the landholder adjoining the area as there are no watering facilities and so stock are moved back to the property at night.

Routine stock movement permit permits apply to routine movements of stock between two or more properties owned or occupied by the same person and are therefore issued to local stock owners annually.

To obtain a stock movement permit, contact 1300 795 299. Permit fees may vary according to region, so talk to your local office before sending in your application form.

For more information about anything in this article, please contact Central West Lachlan Landcare on 02 6862 4914, cwllpo@hotmail.com, facebook or our website at centralwestlachlanlandcare.org

 Until next week, happy Landcaring!